Jacolien Britz Speech Therapy is a well established practice in the Northern Suburbs of Cape Town. We have two practice locations, Cape Gate Therapy Centre, ideal for people living in Kraaifontein, Pinehurst, Durbanville and Brackenfell, and The Therapy Centre in Goodwood, for people living in the Goodwood, Panorama, Parow, and Monte Vista areas. We also offer services at schools and do home visits to assist with rehabilitation.
Speech, Language and Hearing Therapy is the study of human communication disorders. This includes disorders of speech, language and swallowing. Communication disorders can be congenital (born with the disorder) or acquired, and can affect individuals of any age.
What is the role of a Speech Therapist?
The role of a speech, language and hearing therapist is to assess and treat speech, language and communication problems in people of all ages to enable them to communicate to the best of their ability.
When Is Therapy Needed?
Speech and Language therapy can be needed for a variety of reasons, including:
- birth defects such as cleft lip or cleft palate
- cerebral palsy
- cognitive (intellectual; thinking) or other developmental delays
- down syndrome
- hearing impairments
- weak oral muscles
- motor planning problems (apraxia)
- pronunciation or articulation problems
- respiratory problems (breathing disorders)
- stuttering or dysfluency
- swallowing disorders
- traumatic brain injury
Therapy should begin as soon as possible!
For more details and information on what kind of therapy we can offer to children look at our Therapy for Children page.
For more information on what kind of therapy we can offer to adults please go to our Therapy for Adults page.
Who can refer you to a speech therapist?
We have a very close relationship with:
- Medical Specialists: Peadiatrians, Ear, Nose and Throat Specialists (ENT’s), Neurologists, ect.
- Medical teams: GP’s, Occupational therapists, Audiologists, Physiotherapists, Psychologists and Nurses.
- Educational teams: Teachers and Remedial teachers
- The family: Parents, Guardians and Spouses.